Cinnamon, in addition to cooking, has found its purpose in traditional medicine. This spice is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that is successfully used for colds. On the Internet, information appeared on the effect of cinnamon spice on the amount of glucose in the blood. Studies conducted on this subject, including those of the American Diabetes Association, have shown in some cases a decrease in the level of sugar. At the same time, experts insist on a competent, metered intake of spices, which in large quantities can cause harm. Using proven recipes with cinnamon for type 2 diabetes, you can not only enrich the diet, but also improve your well-being.
Benefit and harm
Cinnamon is saturated with such beneficial for the body components as:
- carotenoids, which contribute to the restoration of the epidermis and mucous membranes, increase immunity,
- B vitamins that improve the work of the heart, blood vessels and brain, raising hemoglobin,
- phylloquinone that regulates blood clotting,
- ascorbic acid, which is a strong antioxidant,
- nicotinic acid, which promotes fermentation and lipid metabolism,
- Micro and macro elements:
- calcium involved in bone formation
- magnesium, regulating metabolic processes in the body,
- iron that prevents anemia,
- copper, which promotes protein and carbohydrate absorption,
- coumarin - flavoring component, dangerous when used in large quantities,
- oils and amino acids that reduce cholesterol and improve the functioning of the nervous system,
- tannins that contribute to the full functioning of the intestine.
Useful composition will help digestion, and also help strengthen the immune system, improve the functioning of the heart and brain, relieve inflammation and clean the blood vessels. Useful properties and contraindications of cinnamon in diabetes mellitus due to the rich composition of spices. Given the effect of some components on the body, it is not recommended to use it in the following situations:
- pregnancy, and the breastfeeding period,
- the presence of allergic reactions
- problems with blood clotting and bleeding,
- oncology in the digestive system,
- violation of the bowel in the form of chronic constipation or diarrhea.
Use in diabetes
As already noted, in many cases, the use of cinnamon reduces the amount of sugar in the blood. Tanning and essential substances in this spice have anti-inflammatory, antihistamine and anti-bacterial properties. Their ability to reduce not only sugar, but also "bad" cholesterol in the blood has been proven. Another feature for people with diabetes is to improve fat metabolism, which helps to lose weight. Since obesity is often associated with this type of disease, this property is very useful.
Medicinal properties of cinnamon in diabetes manifest themselves as follows:
- after eating food with spice decreases the concentration of glucose in the blood,
- the sensitivity of cells to the hormone insulin increases,
- the metabolism is adjusted, interfering at the same time with deposits of fats,
- blood circulation is improved, which positively affects the functioning of the heart and blood vessels, decreases blood pressure,
- the number of high-density lipoproteins increases,
- hemoglobin rises,
- strengthens the body's immune system.
Diabetic therapy should not be based only on taking cinnamon. Treatment of existing diabetes is effective when used in recommended doses, combining with other products and drugs. It is best used as a seasoning for dishes.
Cassia or ceylon cinnamon
As you know, cinnamon can be "true" and "fake". To be more precise, it is precisely cinnamon called Ceylon that grows in Sri Lanka. In this spice there is a greater amount of essential oils in contrast to cassia. Fake cinnamon is called Chinese - Chinese Cinnamon. "True" cinnamon is made from the inner layers of the bark and fragile to the touch, but Cassia is hard like a tree. What kind of cinnamon to take against diabetes?
Studies have been conducted with the use of cassia, since the majority of purchased store cinnamon is Chinese. And in some volunteers, an improvement in the sugar level was noted downward. However, this type of spice contains more coumarin, which can trigger side effects when it is consumed.
Protein compounds with polyphenolic substances that increase insulin susceptibility, as well as reducing fat abnormalities of bioflavonoids in the Ceylon spice, are more abundant. Therefore, it will have a greater impact on diabetics. But due to the fact that it is very difficult to buy it, cassia is well suited to replace it. To achieve a therapeutic effect, you need to know how to apply cinnamon in diabetes.
How to use with high sugar
Before taking cinnamon for type 2 diabetes, you need to find out if it is suitable for the body. Often there is an individual intolerance to the product that only harm the diabetic. Therefore, before taking it is necessary to consult a doctor. If he allows the inclusion of spices in the diet, you must first consume a small amount, not more than 1 g per day. At the same time, it is necessary to control its effect on sugar level and to determine whether it helps or not. In the latter case, it is necessary to abandon the spice. If it has a positive effect, you can continue to use it, gradually increasing the dosage to 3 g per day.
Cinnamon must not be eaten separately, but as a seasoning to any other dietary dishes.
Cinnamon for diabetics will be not only a useful addition to the basic therapy, but also an excellent variety of everyday menus. There are many recipes for its use. Consider those that are best for people with non-insulin dependent diabetes.
Based on four cups, 3 cinnamon sticks or one and a half teaspoons are taken. Crushed chopsticks are filled with water and slowly brought to a boil. After being left for 15 minutes, so that the tea is infused. When the drink has cooled down a little, it is poured into cups and freshly squeezed lemon juice is added. To make tea not so sour it is better to take lime instead of lemon.
Pre-small spoon spice insist in boiled water. After half an hour, add 2 tablespoons of fresh honey. Then insist drink in a cold place. Drink this way: half in the morning before meals, the other half in the evening.
We should not forget that flour products, even if they are flavored with cinnamon, are forbidden for diabetics.
Cinnamon will help make the dishes fragrant and tasty, as well as benefit the body. Its regular use will prevent the disease at the stage of prediabetes, and with the existing disease will not allow the appearance of complications.